We all rely on the trucking industry. Trucks transport virtually every consumer item that we use every day. Yet large trucks pose severe safety risks. According to the U.S. Department of Transportation, about 333,000 large trucks (trucks weighing over five tons) were involved in traffic collisions during 2012, and nearly 4,000 people were killed in those collisions. Thousands more were injured. If you or someone you love becomes an injury victim in a truck accident in southern California, discuss your case at once with an experienced Pasadena personal injury attorney. Every accident is different and every personal injury case is unique, but most truck accidents can be attributed to one of these five causes:
- Driver error: Driver error includes driver fatigue – the leading cause of all truck accidents – but it also includes distracted driving and intoxicated driving.
- Improper loading: When a truck’s load is not safely set and distributed on the trailer, the truck can malfunction when moving. A truck with an unbalanced load can actually tip over when negotiating a sharp turn. On some trucks, if the load isn’t properly secured, it can fall right off the truck and onto the roadway.
- Equipment failure: Equipment failures can include manufacturing and design flaws and also maintenance and mechanical matters like poorly maintained brakes or tires. Every driver and company is required by federal law to perform regular inspections and maintenance of their trucks, but regulations and guidelines are far too frequently ignored.
- Poor weather: Because of the considerable weight of big trucks and their loads, trucks need more braking distance in bad weather – a lot more.
- Negligent hiring: If a trucking company hires a driver without a thorough background check, that driver could be an accident waiting to happen. A record of reckless driving, distracted driving, or intoxicated driving should disqualify a driver. Inexperienced truck drivers also pose a danger.
Serious injuries, permanent disability, and wrongful death are the likely consequences of a truck accident. If you are injured in a truck collision in southern California, now or in the future, speak immediately to an experienced Pasadena personal injury attorney.