Slip-and-fall injuries can be catastrophic. In the worst scenarios, people have been permanently disabled just because they slipped and fell in a supermarket, a restaurant, or a parking lot. If you’re injured this way in southern California – because a property owner or manager was negligent – you have the right to file a personal injury claim and pursue compensation for your medical care and related expenses with the help of an experienced Pasadena premises liability lawyer. Here’s what you should do after a slip-and-fall injury:
- Report the accident to the owner or manager: If you’re injured in a slip-and-fall or trip-and-fall accident, report it immediately. If you are injured on a commercial property, report it to the highest-ranking person you can find.
- Compile evidence: Take pictures immediately of the accident scene from as many angles as possible, or have someone take the photos for you. It’s imperative to get pictures before anyone changes or re-arranges the scene. Also take pictures of your injury if it’s visible. Collect the names and contact information of any witnesses.
- Seek medical attention: When you receive medical treatment, be sure to specify that the accident was the cause of your injuries. It’s difficult to win compensation if you do not seek immediate medical treatment. After your initial exam, keep all of your medical appointments. If you don’t, it implies that you’re not genuinely, seriously injured.
- Act promptly: In the state of California, victims of slip-and-fall accidents have two years from the date of the accident to file a premises liability claim. Those under age 18 have two years from the date of their 18th birthday. Don’t wait two years. Act promptly.
- Speak to an experienced Pasadena premises liability lawyer: Don’t speak with an insurance company or sign any documents until you consult first with an experienced Pasadena premises liability lawyer. The insurance company may try to settle your case for far less than it’s worth. Contact an attorney at once and heed that attorney’s advice.
If you follow these steps, you’ll be prepared to negotiate for an appropriate settlement, and you’ll be ready in case your claim goes to trial. Legal help is here for slip-and-fall injury victims, but you must take the first step and make the call to a good premises liability attorney immediately.